Thursday, December 24, 2009

Córdoba

If you ever get the chance to go to Spain, you must go to Córdoba and see La Mezquita, the (Grand) Mosque. According to Wikipedia, La Mezquita was "finished" in late 900A.D., but "updated" with a Catholic nave around the 13th/14th century, after Córdoba was recaptured by the Spanish. The building was absolutely incredible; the pillars and archways of the original mosque were breathtaking, the size was almost unbelievable, and the mixture of the Catholic and Muslim architecture and décor was intriguing. The photos are better than my simple explanation, though, so if you'd like to look at them, click here (P.S. If you end up looking on the Wikipedia site, I swear I didn't get my photos from there. These are all mine! :) ).

Here's one to whet your appetite:

Pretty incredible, no?

The rest of Córdoba was pretty cool. It is a smaller, slightly quieter city than Granada (and definitely quieter than Sevilla), one I would love to return to at some point in time in my life. It helped that the sun was shining (one of the few sunny days so far), but I loved the old architecture, narrow streets and city parks. It was a beautiful place!

No comments: