Saturday, January 23, 2010

Recent recipes & photos

My best friend is doing a project this year that involves taking photos every single day and posting her daily favorite. I thought it was a cool idea and really wanted to participate, but I found this week that I am just too darn busy! I'm also experiencing a bit of digital camera letdown returning to my dinky little point and shoot after getting to use my sister's DSLR (Nikon D40) in Spain.

Regardless, in the spirit of this really cool project, I managed to take a few photos around my house and neighborhood, including some of the food I made myself this evening. I love having time to make good food! When the semester gets busy (wait...it already is!), I have to force myself to take the time, despite how rewarding it is.

Anyway, I could go on for awhile, but I'll spare you the musings. Here are the photos. :)

1. Fire!! Oh, wait...not really. This is near the bus stop, where I sometimes dash on my way to school to get to the train faster. :)














2. I don't know what it is about graffiti, but I love it. I found this one at the train station one morning last week. Look closely; I really like the orange hand prints on either side of "war".













3. Cloves! My roommate came home a few months ago with this ancient bag of spices, which we promptly hung on the wall. I love cloves. :














4. Quiche! This was an adaptation from The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook, a Christmas present from Joel that I was really excited about. It was fairly quick and easy: an almond-flour crust with parsley and shallots, baked for ~20 minutes, then filled with steamed and sauteed cauliflower, onions, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, eggs and more parsley. And some salt and pepper. It's very mild, but very delicious. I'm looking forward to having it for breakfast the rest of this week! :)













5. Last but most definitely not least, the latest variation of Betty Crocker's Gluten Free "Pumpkin" Chocolate Chip Cookies. Here's the recipe. I substituted squash for the pumpkin, cranberries for the raisins, and added about 1/4 c. of crushed pecans and 2 tsps of Kenyan Tea Masala, which is a mix of spices intended to be taken with black tea...but ginger, cardamom, mace, allspice, cinnamon, and black pepper sounded perfect for this recipe! I wasn't off-base; these are delicious. Another thing I'm looking forward to enjoying this week. :)

No comments: