Friday, April 27, 2007

music

I had a revelation tonight. It's cheesy, but here it is:

Music makes the world go 'round.

A few wiser individuals put it this way (courtesy of quotationspage.com):

After silence, that which comes nearest to
expressing the inexpressible is music.

~Aldous Huxley

[Music] seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain.
Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music.
~George Elliot
Music is the only language in which
you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing.

~John Erskine


As I write, I am listening to a fantastic compilation of collegiate a capella, taking a "music bath" as Oliver Wendell Holmes put it. It's midnight, but I don't want to go to bed because I am enjoying myself too much. I keep starting sentences, thoughts, ideas and come up short with a way to fully express how I feel at this moment - music evokes excitement, peace, longing, beauty, wonder, awe - perhaps that's the point.

If you haven't heard an a capella rendering of 'Galileo' by the Indigo Girls, you must. Beautiful.

1 comment:

mary ann said...

lynnae,
where do I find an a capella rendering of Galileo by Indigo Girls?

When I hear you play the oboe, it makes me cry. I guess the inexpressible emotions of pride, wonder, and awe that this "child of mine" can create such beautiful sound come out in my tears...

love you,
mom