Friday, July 15, 2011

scape, arugula, and walnut pesto

I love having a CSA, and the time to use it and create new recipes! We had some arugula in desperate need of consumption, and *lots* of garlic scapes, so I decided to make a pesto. It packs a punch! The spicy arugula and pungent garlic are a sweet combination - this is definitely something I'll save for next year's batch of scapes. It's great on pasta (with broiled squashes and more parmesan cheese) or with eggs and tortillas (inspired by my good friend Becky Kuk - check out her blog!).

scape, arugula, and walnut pesto
makes 1/2 to 3/4 c. pesto


1 small bunch arugula, roughly chopped (approx. 3/4 c?)
2 tbsp garlic scapes, chopped
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1/4 c. walnuts, chopped
1 tbsp parmesan cheese, shredded
pinch salt
1-2 tsp freshly ground pepper

throw ingredients in a food processor; blend until smooth. Or until it looks like this!



pesto pasta with broiled squashes and parmesan cheese



pesto, eggs, and tortilla with feta

*note: this was a little on the salty side because of the pesto and feta. if I make the pesto again, I'll leave out the salt and add to different recipes as needed.

No comments: