Thursday, August 19, 2010

oatmeal buttermilk pancakes - success!

"Wow, Lynnae, these taste just like Dad's!"

My sister's words this morning couldn't have made me happier. Growing up, we had a Saturday morning tradition of making oatmeal buttermilk pancakes. My dad made them - and sometimes let us "help" - and then we'd sit around and eat them with tall glasses of milk and grandma & grandpa's real, Michigan maple syrup. Sometimes we'd vary the recipe a bit - add some vanilla and cinnamon for a sweet version, or chocolate chips for an even sweeter one! - but rarely would we miss a Saturday.

Then, five years ago, I was diagnosed with celiac disease and had to say good-bye to Dad's oatmeal buttermilk pancakes (among what felt like 1,000,000 other things). Oh, the sadness! Since then, I have tried several times to reproduce Dad's pancakes. Given that I've also been unable to have dairy for the last five years, it was always an exercise in frustration - there's just no substitute for buttermilk, oats, and good-old gluten flour.

Today, however, is a different story. For the last few weeks, since I've been introducing a bit of dairy back into my life, I've been working on perfecting a gluten-free version of my dad's oatmeal buttermilk pancakes. I'll spare you the details of each stage; suffice it to say, this recipe rocks! Like Alayna said, you can hardly tell the difference between these and my dad's gluten-FULL version. Success is so sweet! :)

Gluten free oatmeal buttermilk pancakes

Makes 8-10 pancakes (4 servings)


5/6 c. gluten-free flour mix (3 parts brown rice flour, 1 part potato starch, 1 part sorghum flour)

1 c. gluten-free oats

1 tsp. each baking soda, baking powder, brown sugar

½ tsp. zantham gum

pinch of salt

1 ¼ c. buttermilk

¼ c. orange juice

2 eggs


Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl, mix, and set aside.


Wisk two eggs; add orange juice and buttermilk and mix until combined.


Combine wet and dry ingredients. Batter should resemble cake batter; not too thick, and not too runny. Add buttermilk if needed.


Heat a skillet (non-stick works best) over medium to medium-high heat. Grease with some butter, then spoon pancake batter onto skillet. Cook until the top sides are bubbly and the bottom sides are browned. Flip and brown on the other side. Serve with butter (or your favorite butter substitute) and maple syrup.


Dairy-free version

-Omit the salt

-Substitute ¾ c. soymilk + juice from ½ a lemon for buttermilk; combine these

2 comments:

Rebekah Kuk said...

Congratulations, Lynnae! I'm so glad this was not just another exercise in frustration. Hopefully I get to try them someday. Here's to kitchen successes.

LynnaeEtta said...

Thank you, Becky! Not that I'm biased or anything, but I do recommend them. :) Or the gluten-full version - same recipe (substitute white or wheat flour), minus the zantham gum, baking powder, and half the eggs! super simple and tasty!