Sunday, January 13, 2008

Pancakes!

This morning I made pancakes that were so good I had to share the recipe. Best of all? They were gluten and dairy free! More proof that celiac (and other allergies) is not a death sentence.


Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Pancakes

1/2 c. GF flour mix*
1 t. soda
1 t. salt
1 t. sugar (I used brown)
1 1/2 t. baking power
1 t. zantham gum
1/2 - 1 c. ground hazelnut meal (Bob's Red Mill's is delicious)

Combine dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.

1 egg
1/2 - 1 c. milk (I used soy)

Whisk egg in glass measuring cup and add 1/2 c. milk. Pour into dry ingredients; mix with fork until lumps disappear. Add 1/4 - 1/2 c. chocolate chips (I used gf/df Enjoy Life brand).

Heat small skillet over medium heat. Grease pan (I used coconut oil for extra flavor) and pour enough batter to make an 8-inch pancake into pan. Let the batter cook until the top side is almost set and the bottom is golden brown. Flip; cook until bottom is brown. Transfer to covered plate and place in warm oven while you cook the remaining batter. Makes 4 8-inch pancakes. Serve with butter (or peanut butter!) and warm maple syrup.

*The flour mix I used was an accidental combination; my usual mix went bad, so I had to work with some leftover flours. The result was a sweet but very crumbly flour, so definitely use zantham gum in any baking if you're going to use it.

Lynnae's GF Flour Mix (approximate)
2 c. brown rice flour
1 1/2 c. white rice flour
1/2 c. coconut flour
1/2 c. tapioca or corn starch

Mix flours together with fork or whisk. Store in airtight container.

5 comments:

Steve Ruberg said...

Hey sounds really good - I'll try it. Hey there's a good Mars Hill talk on food - archived from Oct 2004 - the good and the bad.

LynnaeEtta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LynnaeEtta said...

I think I listened to that talk, a long time ago. It was when I was in Chile, sick, so it was pretty relevant at the time. Perhaps I'll have to drag it out and listen to it again. :)

Anonymous said...

mmmm... pancakes sound good right now. and those look delicious.

LynnaeEtta said...

you should have tasted them. yum...